Ellen G. White: the most translated female non-fiction author in the history of literature, as well as the most translated American non-fiction author of either gender

Prolific writer Ellen White
Prolific writer Ellen White

My father once ran out of a restaurant because people at his table talked religion. He hated offending people and nursed a strong distaste for “holy rollers.” I like talking religion. I’m curious about the meaning of life.  If you study American history you can’t help but bump up against Christianity.

Christ has always been controversial and in the 19th century it was no different. Don’t be scared of Ellen White. Yes, her nose is disfigured. A mean boy threw a rock in her face as a child landing her in a coma. When she awoke with a screwed up nose she was devastated.

A few years later she had a conversion experience. Eventually she had controversial visions of the great spiritual war going on behind the veil of what we call normal life. Fallen angels and followers of God fought for the souls of mere mortals.

Ellen wrote about everything from vegetarianism to education and evangelism.

I’m not a Seventh Day Adventist though I admire some of their teachings, but who knew that Ellen White held the position of most translated female non-fiction writer?*

“During her lifetime she wrote more than 5,000 periodical articles and 40 books.” Wikipedia

*According to grandson’s biography

1. Ok you are now officially off my dinner party invitation list 🙂

1. My father was the only person I knew in NJ who didn’t enjoy a good fight/discussion. I guess you’re the second person. 🙂

1. Good discussion Yes. Fight yes but at work not socially.

2. Hahaha. I’ve outgrown the faith fights at home a long time ago. Too tiring. Lately all we talk about at home is Friday Night Lights. 🙂

2. sknicholls says:

I used to study the many different religions, from Hindu to Jehovah Witness. I avoid talking about it though. People are usually invested in their own beliefs to have an intelligent conversation about the varied faiths.

1. I’m lucky to have friends who are respectful and can handle debate. I used to work for a man who hated Christians of any kind. It colored his thinking about people so much that he lost a lot of allies and friends. It was sad.

I think if people are secure in their faith they should be able to handle discussion, but maybe I’m missing something. 🙂

3. Amazing woman. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of her.

1. I can’t imagine having the time to write so much!

4. Rosita says:

Yes she was an amazing and gifted women, whatever happened, what was the outcome of the project of October 2009? I’d love to know! After all its now 2016!!!

5. Oh boy! Just discovered your comment from a year ago sitting in spam! Sorry I’m so awful at wordpress!

Adrienne

6. Paul Kusi says:

What makes her super is the fact that she did not go to High School

1. Really? High school isn’t that great anyway. 😉

7. Mathieu says:

The fact is that Ellen G White was a plagiarist and had others write most of her literature.
    Coming from a religious perspective she was a cultic leader who started the seventh day Adventist church.

1. Hmm. Did not know that. i’m not a Seventh Day Adventist. I was kind of interested in them because they talked about the importance of the Sabbath but their way of looking at it didn’t really fit with the way the Jewish figured out the Sabbath.

Also had trouble with the idea that she was a prophet.

2. kevin says:

are you sure about that?? please do have all information before conclussion

1. I’d like to know more about this too. 🙂

3. Jonaisha Rodríguez says:

With sufficient research on your part you’ll be able to find that both accusations are found and proven false.

8. Ralph Phillips says:

Not everyone in the world wants to be enlightened. The Lord Jesus Christ said men love darkness and that is why they would not come to him who is the light of this world. One day we will all be enlightened by the truth of the gospel but for those who have rejected Jesus and his salvation, it will be a sad day,

9. davidjrogersftw says:

Adrienne, thank you for the post. Isn’t the world just filled with interesting people, interesting stories? How can you not love people who are powerfully motivated by their spirit and good intentions?

1. How can people ever be bored?! Thanks for stopping by, David.

10. Dan Johnson says:

I am actually seventh day Adventist myself, and contradicting what people may think, we (seventh-day Adventists) do not think of her as a prophet. In fact, she says her self that here is a prophet. Instead, we believe that she was inspired by God, and had visions inspired by God. Her writings are very good, and we (SDAs) use here writings as material alongside the bible. We do not view her writings as higher than the bible in any way. Everything she writes supports the bible and explains it. Good interesting article!

1. Interesting explanation! I think I’ll spend a little more time exploring her works. I’ve been fascinated by SDA’s for a while now. My only question is about the accurate time for the sabbath. From my understanding the Jews went by a different calendar so the sabbaths fell on different days of the week. Why do the SDA’s say that Saturday is the sabbath?