“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” Mark Twain

British Impressionism Paintings 17

“All the pathos and irony of leaving one’s youth behind is thus implicit in every joyous moment of travel: one knows that the first joy can never be recovered, and the wise traveler learns not to repeat successes but tries new places all the time.” Paul Fussell

**A question: Does anyone know who this painting is by?

1. Sorry, Adrienne. Can’t help

2. Nicodemas says:

Wonderful post! I love the quote by Twain especially. The painting looks early Impressionist. Could it be Manet?

1. Me, too. 🙂 We will just have to find out won’t we. Have a good day, Nic.

3. The painting is signed, bottom right corner, but I can’t read it in this copy. There is also a notation in the bottom left corner that I think it may be a title. I don’t think it’s a Manet.

1. Good spot! I need my glasses. 🙂

4. maedez says:

Have you tried a reverse image search?

1. Don’t even know what that is 🙂 I will look it up though!

1. maedez says:

I use tineye, but I believe Google also has this function. All you do is upload an image, and they do a reverse search for it. It will show you everywhere an image already exists on the Internet. It’s a very helpful tool.

2. maedez says:

You’re welcome! 🙂

5. William Kennedy. No I’m not an art genius. Just found it on Google image search. http://www.artfund.org/supporting-museums/art-weve-helped-buy/artwork/10299/stirling-station

Liked by 2 people

6. Eileen says:

Don’t know the artist, but really like the picture. Agree with Mark Twain, but not sure I agree about revisiting places, or memories of youth, or truths…… have found new riches in old places, memories, and truths when revisited at new stages of life.

1. I agree with you. I’m a very nostalgic person so when I revisit places the experience is usually richer than the original 🙂

7. Eileen says:

Glad to learn about William Kennedy.

8. Glad I revisited to find out the artist – thank you, George Crawford.