1. Jet Eliot says:

I watched both parts and thoroughly enjoyed this old footage, Adrienne. His hardy mannerisms and style are fascinating to watch. Thank you.

1. I know! I can never get enough of him. Whatever one thinks of his politics (I think some good/some bad) he certainly lived life to the fullest. I love how he chopped wood in a vest 🙂

1. Jet Eliot says:

That slayed me too! And he carried an ax around like it was a pen!

2. He also walked 13 miles a day!

Liked by 2 people

2. The thing that amused me is that you could tell exactly when he was given a direction — the pause, the direct gaze, the nod, and then the change of direction. Movie making was definitely at an innocent stage then.

Ever seen the movie “The Wind and the Lion”? Brian Keith was absolutely channeling TR in that. Remarkable performance. Worth seeing.

1. I never saw it but I’ll have to look it up. Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂

3. Eileen says:

These are marvelous. He was a man of many facets. And his legacy of parks is wonderful. Thanks for sharing these, they really do capture his energy.

1. Indeed. I’m always astonished by people who have such verve. I’d love to be so public service minded but can’t figure how I’d have the time.

4. carlamcgill says:

These are remarkable and wonderful treasures! Thank you for sharing them.

1. You’re welcome. TR is so much fun.

5. carlamcgill says:

My studies in Puritanism, then the Revolution, and the evolving of the literature of those eras eventually gave me a brief but earnest focus on T. Roosevelt, and for a time, he was in my imagination consistently as a heroic individual. I can’t say that I recall everything I learned, but somehow, I have many positive remnants in my mind about him. 🙂

1. Puritanism! If I had another life I’d love to study that! I disagree with some of TR’s ideas (though it’s easy through hindsight) but his energy!!!! What’s not to love? He also seems to have been a good father–something we should make more of than we do these days.

1. carlamcgill says:

It is an interesting era to study! I was enthralled by the diaries, journals, and conversion narratives, though somehow I couldn’t find others who found them equally as interesting. 🙂

2. I often have that about soldiers who fought in the Indian wars 🙂 I regale my family for hours . . . but they have to listen because I make their supper.