1. cindy knoke says:

Such a human, wonderful, being there, seeing that, painting. I love brillance like this that sends photographic painting masterpieces from the past with incredible precision and humanity. He is amazing isn’t he, and she is more beautiful than many of his subjects, and so, she shows us his heart.

1. Yes, what you said almost made me cry–she is beautiful and what a heart!

2. Annika Perry says:

Beautiful tender painting by Gainsborough and not one I’ve seen before. His house is in a town close by and they have many of his drawings on display which are intricate and moving.

1. Lucky you! When I went to art school the fad was to paint cold, ironic or ugly abstractions as if humanity was something to be despised. One older lady kept to herself and painted horses with such love she put us all to shame–though most of us were too young to realize it. 🙂

Also, I just love the name Gainsborough, don’t you?

Have a wonderful week, Annika.
      A

1. Annika Perry says:

Oh, the painting themes sound rather dire and dreary to concentrate on such a subject matter. As for the name Gainsborough, it is a terrific name but so synonymous with the area I just take it for granted. Constable lived and worked nearby too – so the two vie for attention even to this day! Wishing you a lovely week too, Adrienne. 😃

3. howardat58 says:

Wow!
    I have not seen any of these before.

1. My new favorite website!

4. PJR says:

He was the most poetic of English painters, as Keats was the most painterly of English poets. As ever, Adrienne, your choice of quote justifies a post on its own. “Being not unacquainted with woe” launches a thousand stories, a thousand pictures. Thank you for putting a thrill down my sad English back this Sunday morning!

1. I hope not too sad, my friend. I’m so happy the post brightened your day just a little!

Love,
      A

5. Eileen says:

Love both the quote and the painting. Didn’t know Gainsborough painted anything but the upper class. Thanks for bringing this other side of Gainsborough to my attention.