1. I hope the cold doesn’t get to them.

1. My husband and I have been taking turns getting up during the night to check on them. Everything okay for now!

2. simonjkyte says:

Looks soooo wintry over there

1. VERY cold too. Layers and layers of clothes now scattered all around the house dripping with snow. 🙂

1. simonjkyte says:

At my place I would be dead – no central heating, no insulation, no attic, almost entirely late 1700s walls or worse, Victorian walls built to house chickens…. was bad enough when it was -8C.

2. Our wood stove is one of the joys of my life since moving to the tundra!

3. simonjkyte says:

Ha – i am in rented – nothing like stoves

4. PS Always wanted an old house!

5. simonjkyte says:

so expensive to run. what survives from tudor times is more thermally efficient. i don’t think the burials beneath teh building have helped much in my case

6. simonjkyte says:

yep! Lots of stuff is going to be under there – Roman, Iron age etc but much nearer the surface the results of anatomical experiments on the workhouse dead in the nineteenth century by the anatomist, John Box who lived in the big house adjacent – see the top of p 15 – sorry about the scan quality. there is clearly something right underneath the wall of the living room, which would have been the edge of the workers’ washroom facilities at the time. http://oxoniensia.org/volumes/1991/wilson.pdf
        he basically needed bodies to teach students and so he got himself a Board membership of teh workhouse

7. Thank God for dead people. Where would we be without them? 🙂

8. simonjkyte says:

I am not really very convinced about the concept – not because of some idea of life after death but because I am not quite convinced of teh literalness of life

9. Ha! It feels literal to me. 😉 I was being flippant. I guess it’s necessary to learn things on dead people and animals, but I’d never be the one to do it.

I’m pretty sure I believe in an afterlife.

10. simonjkyte says:

Yeah it may feel it but Plato’s ideas on it are suddenly a possible framework in science

3. Annika Perry says:

Hope they’ll be safe….look forward to seeing the photos! Keep warm!

1. So far so good. I think we got about 18 inches of snow. The goats are not happy about it but no babies yet.

4. I’ve been thinking about you, what with the huge winds a few days ago and a blizzard on its way. Sending wishes for a milder storm than expected and for healthy babies all around.

1. I confess I’m not a very nice person this time of year. I stress about bedding, parasites, crazy birthing positions I may have to take heroic measures to fix, death–you know–basically being a real farmer. I’m more a writer who loves animals. 🙂 Still no babies! But glad the storm has passed.

5. I hope the babies survive the blizzard

1. The blizzard is now over. I mucked the barn this morning.Snow blew in from everywhere–upsetting my grand plans for a dry barn for the babies who haven’t arrived yet. 🙂

6. Bea dM says:

You and the babies are probably on the minds of each and everyone of us who’s read this post and seen the photo. Definitely on mine. Hang on there, writer who loves animals!

1. I was cursing to myself yesterday while slogging through the snow with gallon containers of water (we have no water at the barn). Everyone else was in the house.

When I came in I found that they decided to make me a special dinner. 🙂 I sheepishly ate their gift thinking of all the names I called them to myself. LOL.