ABOUT ADRIENNE

adrienne-morrisI think I first fell in love with family sagas watching family drama at the many funerals of my youth.

As relatives bickered over property and rubbed old wounds raw I sat and listened with my cousins to the adults who fought and laughed and fought some more all between the morning and evening viewings of yet another parent or sibling from our parents’ generation.

My father used to remind us each morning before school that we might not see each other again.As a police officer he knew more about sudden turns in life and death.

My mother was the keeper of old stories. Stories of orphanages and stealing old boats as a child to row on the Hudson River with New York and its riches sparkling across the waves. She swam in the river until the day the signs about pollution were posted on the beaches and the summer camps became winter homes for the poor.

I write family sagas because I love people. I love their flaws. I love their dreams and deceptions. I feel sorry for us all yet happy to be alive.

Great paintings capture moments of the grand saga. People long forgotten and some quite well-known leave us their sagas to do with what we will. They’re gifts–as most people are. We all have our part to play in the grand saga of life. What is a family saga? I found this definition on Goodreads:

The family saga chronicles the lives and doings of a family or a number of related or interconnected families. The typical novel follows the generations of a family through a period of time to portray particular historical events, changes of social circumstances, or the ebb and flow of fortunes from a multiple of perspectives.

I like that. Don’t you? What fun it is to discover a friend’s perspective.

I write this blog to celebrate who we all are, past and present, flawed and sublime.

Thank you for visiting.

Adrienne Morris writes family sagas about the Weldon and Crenshaw families of Gilded Age Englewood, New Jersey. Her first novel, The House on Tenafly Road was selected as an Editors’ Choice Book by The Historical Novel Society. HISTORICAL NOVEL SOCIETY REVIEW

Sign up to be on Adrienne’s mailing list to receive news about her books and special giveaways: CLICK HERE

Authors rely on word-of-mouth! If you enjoy ADRIENNE’S BOOKS, please think about leaving an online review–even a short one! It makes a big difference and would be greatly appreciated.

1. Jill London says:

I’m so glad to get a proper introduction, Adrienne! 😉 Hello!!!
    Btw, I nominated you for the Sunshine Award, because your lovely blog (and you ;-)) deserve it!! Here is a link to the post on my blog: http://jilllondon.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/the-sunshine-award/ no strings attached and you don’t need to do anything to get it if you don’t want. I just wanted you to have it 🙂

2. gpcox says:

Good for you, happy to meet you.

3. Thank you for sharing your site with me and for following mine. It is an enjoyable read. I believe you are following my sister’s site countrycookingbylynn.wordpress.com she is trying to get it off the ground so to speak…I see it is “under construction”. Thank you for following her. AJM

1. You’re welcome. I love country cooking blogs. I hope hers gets up and running and that she has fun with it.

4. Thank you for liking my post today! Looking forward to reading your blog.

5. annetbell says:

Today, I am nominating you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. Congratulations on your excellent blog! Please visit the following the page for the details.
    Namaste. . . .Anne

1. Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!

1. annetbell says:

You are most welcome.

6. Hi , Thanks for stopping by ritaLOVEStoWRITE.com and especially for following. I’m loving your blog. Keep writing. Cheers, Rita

7. Thanks for following my blog. I am in the middle of NaNo, but “I’ll be back!”
    “Sue”

8. Thanks for stopping by and for the “follow”! Your blog looks interesting, I look forward to following. Colleen

1. I just found your other blog, too. Looks great!

1. Yes, you can see we have similar interests!

9. I have just nominated you and your AWESOME blog for the Versatile Blogger Award. Follow this link to see what to do next: http://thebelmontrooster.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/my-versatile-blogger-award/. Congradulations and good luck!

10. araneus1 says:

Thank you for the follow on ‘spidersweb’….. spider appreciates the audience.
    Terry

11. annetbell says:

Congratulation! I have nominated you for the Blog of the Year 2013. Please visit the page below for the details. http://talesalongtheway.com/2013/12/12/blog-of-the-year-award-influential-blogger-award-and-sisterhood-of-the-world-award/

1. Thanks so much! By the way your favorite quote is one of mine as well. Saint Paul’s writings take my breath away.

12. Patti Hall says:

Hiya! Englewood, New Jersey. Your book looks fascinating. Love this place:>)

1. Thanks and good luck! You’ve lived a very interesting life according to your about page! I also swerve away from frogs crossing the street–takes me a long time to get home some nights.

1. Patti Hall says:

I’m thoroughly entangled over at Middlemay, but thank you for stopping by and leaving me a note:>)

2. Always love catching people in my web 🙂

13. Pilar Teran says:

What made you write about Englewood, NJ. I live about 4 blocks away from Tenafly Road. I like how you are open to all the experiences that you’ve had.

1. How exciting! My first Englewood blogger! I grew up in Bergen County and my great grandfather lived on James Street. I got a job teaching 5th grade at St. Cecilia’s School and fell in love with the history of the town and also a dilapidated house on Tenafly Road. I even went inside (it was abandoned at the time).

I knew I wanted to write about New Jersey in a different way than the typical mafia/ turnpike NJ is awful style. I love NJ. So when I came up with the idea of a morphine-addicted Civil War veteran falling in love with a family he never had I knew they would live in the house (fixed up in my imagination). I LOVE Englewood! Did you grow up there?

14. burstupdates says:

¿El escritor nicaragüense favorito? Fueron más los poetas pero Sr. Aguirre-Sacasa escribió para Marvel Comics.

1. Nunca he leído ninguna poetas nicaragüenses traducidos al inglés. ¿Podrías recomendarme algunos?

15. Thai Village says:

Hello from rainy England!

1. Hello from snowy New York! I wouldn’t mind a trip to England. I went to London once and really loved it. The countryside is fantastically beautiful–sort of like Upstate NY. Nice to meet you!

Adrienne

16. Kate Loveton says:

Hi there! Thanks for following my blog! Your book sounds interesting (The House on Tenafly Road) – the reviews are certainly good. I’ll look for it.

17. Hi there,
    this is totally unrelated…do you know where I could get info on what was sold in the old “Five and DIme” stores? You seem to dig up really interesting stuff from the past, so I’m wondering if you know where I could find this.

In my story I’m working on, I need to throw in a few items for the 1930’s time frame.

thanks and have a great weekend.
    ps
    Hubby and I were watching one of the Albany weathermen this morning on tv and he was pissed off at this weather. He kept it G rated, but was very sarcastic in his description of the frigid temps.
    “Tomorrow, first of March, yipee, expect below freezing temperatures”
    He was hilarious.

1. thank YOU!!! That is exactly what I need. the list of items.
        have a great day!

2. You too. Glad I can be of help 🙂

3. It made me think of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, when Francie was in the store proving she had money.

18. annetbell says:

Adrienne, just back from the Spectrum in Albany. Saw Tim’s Vermeer. Since you are a Caravaggio fan, you must also be a Vermeer fan as well. They both are painters of light. Not sure if you have a foreign film theater in Saratoga but am thinking so . Here is the trailer. . . . .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS_HUWs9c8c I would be interested in your thoughts~

1. I will check it out and I have to say that you’ve touched me with your thoughtfulness! Thanks for thinking of me 🙂

1. annetbell says:

You are my friend! Smiles. . .

2. Just watched it! Of course, you’re right–I love Vermeer. It looks like a very interesting movie–I’ll have to go see it now. Did you like it?

It’s funny how whenever anything comes up about India or Caravaggio I think of you, too. Blogging is such a funny, weird thing–but a pleasure 🙂

1. annetbell says:

I did enjoy it as did professor . My mind wander a little whee the narrator got in the weeds about technology but that was only a bit . Caravaggio was mentioned and he painted light before Vermeer interesting to wonder if he ,too, used technology!

19. Hi Adrienne, loving the simplistic & beautiful outdoors life you lead! Just added “HOUSE ON TENAFLY ROAD” to our must read list. Looking forward to getting to know you better through your blog. Thanks for following ours!! Much luv & support. 😉

1. I wish it were simple–but it is definitely beautiful 🙂 I’m not sure there’s a simple place on earth–anyway, if I went there I’d probably make it complicated–haha. Thanks for the visiting and I hope you enjoy the book.

Love you back!
      Adrienne

20. Thank you, Adrienne, for following my blog at thefinalcurtain1.wordpress.com – I, too, am in the country but no goats to milk… As a kid, couldn’t milk a cow. 🙂

1. I think milking goats is easier. So I’ve been told. My husband found out the hard way that he wasn’t very good at milking the goats. 🙂 I’ve trained them to be a little bratty.

21. what’s your email address?

1. rocketmail, like rocket man LOL

2. now you’ve put that song in my head! haha

22. Hello, Adrienne. I saw your poignant comment at Opinionated Man’s blog and thought I would drop by for a quick visit. How wonderful that you are an author. What inspired you to write in the historical novel genre?

Given that I am a soon-to-be ex-military guy with a big heart and crazy ideas– };-)> –, I suspect that you might rather enjoy my forthcoming nonfiction book. It appears to be a gripping read that compares favourably with good quality fiction (le Carre, Forsyth, “Mommy Dearest”). Fellow bloggers / authors are always welcome to have complimentary pre-release read of the corrected galley proof.

If you’re ever interested or in need of something to read, this post gives background on the book, including test reader feedback: http://navigator1965.wordpress.com/2014/03/31/how-to-write-the-book-that-malcolm-gladwell-wished-he-had-written/

I’m also available at themirrorbooks@gmail.com.

What service was your husband in? I am at the twilight of 30 years in the Royal Canadian Air Force. Times flies when you’re having fun, I suppose.

1. My nephews are just graduated from the US Naval Academy–I think one wants to be a navigator. My husband was a Navy Nuke guy, my father was army.

I didn’t set out to write historical fiction. I just wanted to see if I could write a novel. I started writing about an arrogant 19th century missionary lady who goes west to civilize Indians. When it came to me that her husband was in the military and that he’d be addicted to morphine from a Civil War injury I was hooked. The woman completely lost her arrogance in the face of all the research I did on Indian/ white relations which turned out to be a lot more complex that I knew.

I love research so I visited The Army War College where they have GREAT artifacts, personal belongings, etc from all of the military men of the period. I was in heaven being able to touch the journals and wallets of some of the generals I was writing about and growing very fond of.
      I really just wanted to write about people I’d love to read about and fall in love with. The families I created sometimes seem more real than my REAL family–sad, right? haha. They’ve kept me still writing their story and I’m into book five 🙂

I have very strong opinions and my characters get to speak for and against things I believe in so that’s really fun.

I’ll definitely check your stuff. Thanks for stopping by.

Adrienne

1. What a great story in and of itself. I’ve a love of research in areas of interest, too. It’s fantastic that you can bring an accurate historical context to your fiction, as then it also acts as a teaching vehicle to the context of the period.

Fiction can be a palatable way to voice opinions without ruffling too many feathers. I seem to recall a book called something like “Shadow Play” in which the author made this argument about Shakespeare’s works subtly touching upon politically sensitive topics of the day.

You’re into book five?! I still have to get my first book out, I’ve done a bit of work on the sequel (major firestorm in the making!), and have an idea for one and possibly two more after this. I had better get to work! };-)>

Is your nephew looking at being a ship’s navigator, or something like a P-3 Orion (aircraft) navigator / Tactical Coordinator (TACCO)?

Cheers,

Nav (legal requirement that I write and blog under pseudonym–book explains)

2. My nephew is doing the flying one 🙂 All the best on your book!

I love books with major firestorms–mine run off of family firestorms–there’s always conflict–especially on holidays.

3. Thank you for the well wishes. I fear the firestorm my nonfiction work will cause might take the form of feminist lynching parties!

I flew on Canadian P-3s in a maritime patrol role. Hunting submariners and other scurvy sorts.

Cheers.

4. As you probably know, there are many women out there who are disillusioned by feminism. Maybe your book will be hailed as a modern triumph!

My husband was a sub guy–I don’t know how he did it. I’d die.

23. Great Scott! The submariner, my nobel foe. };-)>

Interestingly, I, too, get the sense that there is growing disillusionment with feminism, both in general and amongst individual women. So many now recognize that it is not about equality and women’s rights as it purports to be, but they can’t quite put their finger on exactly what the problem is.

I’m fairly confident that my gender narcissism thesis is correct, confident enough that I’ll write two books about it. One of the nice things about the thesis is that feminism can be intuitively explained in Harry Potter-simple English. The ultimate logical conclusion is almost eye-wateringly beautiful in its eloquence and scope. Well, it is to those who found proofs in geometry class to be eloquent and beautiful.

It would be wonderful if the book does indeed prove to be a triumph. Thanks for that kind and encouraging thought.

1. I read somewhere recently that modern people have taken the time long tradition of valuing women as maternal (not just keepers of children but keepers of culture, etc) and switched it for the “princess model.” which really has no value. Princesses just wait for saviors to make them something through their money or prestige. When the princess realizes that being just a princess is unrewarding she blames society and men.

The idea that cooking food for humanity or educating the young is somehow low work is insane. This does not mean that I think women should be trapped in specific roles–only that the ones they’ve held since the beginning of time have a lot of value–but we all think in terms of money.

Of course if men were saints things would be different as well, but we’re all fallen and no amount of social engineering will change this.

1. The expression “preaching to the converted” comes to mind, in a positive connotation, of course. The traditional contributions of women to society and culture are as valuable as those of men, and we seem to have collectively forgotten this, to a large extent.

To “princesses” I would add “heroes” “successes” as caricatures of traditional male roles, as well.

24. I really admire people who can write, well done to you! Love your profile image. PS Thanks for popping by and following ♥

1. Thanks to you too.

Adrienne

25. Hi Adrienne, thanks for visiting and following my blog. It’s always nice to meet another writer of historical fiction (especially one of modern history, which seems so much harder to me than ancient history!)

1. I think what you love always seems easy or at least fascinating 🙂

26. Thank you so much for following First Night History!

27. noahsin says:

I am very interested and intrigued by your blog. Very inspiring! Looking forward to your next posts. Please follow back if you will. Thank you!

28. Thanks for stopping by our blog. We are so excited to find your blog. Just ordered your book from Amazon. We live in Texas but I raised in New Jersey and know Englewood well,so I can’t wait to read your book.
    Look forward to following your blog. Junior is a Reading Education Assistance Dog, so I will be reading your book to him too. He loves historical fiction .
    Paws Up!
    Jill and Junior

1. Fantastic! What a talented dog. Hope you both enjoy stepping back in time. I was born in Englewood and raised in Bergen County. What part of Jersey are you from?

best regards,
      Adrienne

29. Debbie M. says:

I just finished reading a book (okay, a Reader’s Digest Condensed version while on vacation!), about Martha Washington. The history and the story was fascinating especially intertwined with her second marriage to George Washington and the beginnings of the USA.

1. textbooks always make George and Martha so boring but they were fascinating people. George was a VERY impressive man. I think those are the people we should be reading about! Thanks for the comment Debbie.

30. Hi Adrienne,

I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself. I recently saw your “Happy” post in Holistic Wayfarer. I was one of the other Happiness posters, and I noticed your entry was about an experience you had in Nicaragua, which happens to be where I’m from!

I thought it was too big a coincidence to pass up, so here I am, saying hello!

I look forward to reading your blogs.

1. We were told when we got to Nicaragua to try not to look too American (by the American missions leaders). I thought that was so funny. The Nicaraguans immediately noticed us 🙂 I had a great time there. Such a beautiful country.

Are you originally from there? Oh, I guess I can find out more about you on your blog.

Thanks for coming by.

Adrienne

1. I don’t haven’t gotten around to talking about my background much on my blog. I stay pseudo anonymous in the sense that I don’t really give much detail on myself or even post my full name anywhere that I can think of.

But yes, I was born and raised in Managua. Nicaraguan mother and Italian father. Lived there until I was 18 and then came here for college. Went back and forth a few times before finally leaving “for good” (for now) in 2005.

Thank you for stopping by my blog, by the way. I would love to exchange a few emails with you, if you don’t mind, about how you became a writer (among other things). But first, I will read more of your blog – and buy The House on Tenafly Road!

2. How sweet! Hope you enjoy the blog and the book 🙂 my email is morris_adrienne@rocketmail.com.

31. jjspina says:

Thank you for the follow on my blog. It is so nice to meet you and follow your lovely blog. Best wishes!

32. woodbeez48 says:

Thanks for finding and following my blog 🙂 I look forward to reading yours.

33. It is wonderful to meet you!

1. Thanks. Same to you. I like your hair 🙂

1. Oh gosh – thank you. I need to update the picture. I am grayer now… i.e. “silver threading.” 🙂

2. I’m always inspired by women who go the silver route. I’m finally letting mine grown in and loving it 🙂

34. Thank you so very much for the “like” on my recent post about the Antikythera Mechanism at First Night History. I am working on a history book-blog of my own, which can be seen at [one word] theoryofirony.com, then clicking on either the “sample chapter” or “blog” buttons at the top. My Rube Goldberg brain asks with an odd, well-caffeinated kind of logic: Why is there an inverse proportion between the size of the print and the importance of the message? Art. Literature. Science. Military. Religion. I call this eccentric thinking the Theory of Irony and if your busy schedule permits, give a read, leave a comment or create a link. Again, thanks.

P.S. I lived for several years in Albany, not far from Ft. Edward.

35. Adrienne, I was looking for a way to contact you. Can you email me at writersite.wordpress[at]gmail.com? Luanne

36. Rookienotes says:

I LOVE history. The Gilded Age is such a fun period. Do you have a Twitter so I can stay updated with your fab posts?

1. I post most weekdays. 🙂

37. kford2007 says:

Thank you so much for following my blog. I’m having a wonderful time traveling around yours.

1. I’m glad 🙂 I think YA novels are some of the best. My favorites are from earlier time periods but when I used to teach 5-8th grade I LOVED reading the books they read–all of us discovering together great authors and stories.

I’m enjoying your blog as well.

All the best~
      Adrienne

38. Dave says:

Sounds interesting. I shall be exploring. 🙂

39. Thank you for dropping by and following Malcolm’s Corner.

40. Equipping The Saints says:

I love your blog. I trust that I will learn from it. Blessings to you.

1. Thank you and many blessings in return.

1. Equipping The Saints says:

You are very welcome. Please have a good evening.

41. KellerTxDad says:

Thank you for visiting my blog and for the follow! I look forward to reading your posts. God bless you!

42. Adrienne,
    Sent you an email about doing a post. Check your account & lemme know! 🙂

43. Hello Adrienne, Thank you for liking one of my posts, Animals Can Be Costly. I am glad to meet you. I hope you will come back and read more posts. I will be checking out your blogs as well. Have a great weekend. 🙂

44. Happy Valentine’s Day Jersey Girl!

1. Thanks! I love talking about myself 😉

45. I’m glad that I could virtually get to know a vulnerable person

1. Sorry you were in my spam desert for 2 years!! I forgot all about checking spam. 😦

1. Somehow I got over it 😀

2. Hahaha! Well, you’re lucky. Some people never get over it. There have been a few hospitalized after languishing for years awaiting my next “important” message. Haha. You made me really laugh today. Thanks for that.

Adrienne

3. I’m glad you’re smiling and I’m causing you, I’m not hiding that I’m happy you like writing to me.
        Have a nice weekend 🙂

46. equinoxio21 says:

Those who eschew the past don’t know who they are… 🙂
    My God, did I really write “eschew”? I don’t know why the word popped in my mind. 😉
    A happy new year Adrienne, to you, your family and your friends. 🙂
    B.

1. Brian, I like the word eschew. I think it should be used more often. 🙂

Best wishes to you as well. I really enjoyed your look back at San Fran.

1. equinoxio21 says:

Thank you Adrienne. On all counts. Frisco was very nice. Including selecting pix from both stays. 🙂 Be good.

47. Daal says:

am enjoying your blog 🙂

1. I’m so glad! It’s always so nice when someone lets you know! Thank you, Daal.

A

48. Thank you for stopping in at my blog! Looking forward to clicking around and reading here!